The Natalie & Alice Fish Story

We are the Fishes. In 2011 two of our five children; Natalie and Alice were diagnosed with a rare gene disfunction called Leaky SCID (Severe Combined Immune Deficiency). Their condition is so rare that only two cases are reported in the U.S. each year. Both girls have endured much, and have spent most of their young lives in and out of hospitals due to common illnesess a healthy immune system would overcome. The required treatment for our girls is a bone marrow transplant.
Although the new marrow could mean a normal life for them, it will be a long and arduous road. This blog is to share our experience as parents and the courage of our children.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter


Happy Easter!

I vividly remember Easter last year because I remember trying to make a nice Easter dinner in the meantime of caring for Alice as she was at the peak of her chicken pox. I was struggling to keep a smile on my face, as I knew my load was heavier than I. I love Easter and the message which it brings, but I was overwhelmed and could hardly focus on the one aspect that could alleviate the very burden which I was carrying, the atonement and resurrection. I was aware that Alice was not improving; Tyler and I wondered if her body would be able to pull through—not knowing she had a malfunctioning immune system, but in our hearts knowing something wasn’t right. We were scared, exhausted, and at our ropes end.

I remember finally one night after weeks of no sleep and being scared for our child’s life, I felt I had nothing left to give. I sat on the couch, it was midnight, and Alice was crying out in misery, with raging fevers. I remember Tyler in complete frustration and tears, as he too was feeling desperate and deserted. I started to cry because I knew not what to do. I remember the thoughts pass through my mind, “I’m done…I can’t do this anymore…I don’t want to pray anymore, I don’t want to be nice anymore…I’m just mad.” Afterward I looked at my almost lifeless child on my lap and realized something…if that was the choice that I was really going to make—to be done, so my child would also. I knew at that very moment what I had to do. I begged Heavenly Father to heal her because I knew he could, so in my heart I agreed to press forward with faith, hope, and a willingness to serve Him as He needed me to do.

That night was the first night in almost three weeks that Alice did not have a fever, and she slept soundly the entire night. The next morning there was no evidence of new pox…she was healing. Discovering later what we know now, it was a miricale that she healed. At the time I didn’t understand all the things that may have come from that moment of complete sorrow, but I did understand and always have that God answers prayers.

I look at what has taken place since Easter last year and can hardly believe it. We are so blessed and continue to thank so many of you for coming to our rescue!

Lisy

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It is a very special thing to get to see miracles happen before your eyes. I can't imagine the struggle you and your precious family have been through, but I am thankful for the improvements that have been made and I'm hopeful for more miracles tocome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your story!! I just started reading it a few weeks ago and I am in awe of what you all have been through! I am in remission for leukemia which I have had for 7 years, dx after Easter in 2005, so Easter and this time of year I think about lots of stuff!! Dates really don't mean much, but I do remember certain dates, but more that my spirit knows what happened at those times in my life and it remembers as well. I was being tested for a bone marrow transplant, but ended up not needing one as the medication worked.
    Hugs to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete