The Natalie & Alice Fish Story

We are the Fishes. In 2011 two of our five children; Natalie and Alice were diagnosed with a rare gene disfunction called Leaky SCID (Severe Combined Immune Deficiency). Their condition is so rare that only two cases are reported in the U.S. each year. Both girls have endured much, and have spent most of their young lives in and out of hospitals due to common illnesess a healthy immune system would overcome. The required treatment for our girls is a bone marrow transplant.
Although the new marrow could mean a normal life for them, it will be a long and arduous road. This blog is to share our experience as parents and the courage of our children.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Back to ICS

Last night after Lisy and I finished a discussion about Alice's slow progress I said, "at least she hasn't had a fever since we've been home." We should have knocked on wood. I thought nothing of it until this morning around 6:30 we noticed Alice was having a struggle breathing through her nose and felt warm. Her temperature was 103. My eyes rolled to the back of my head and I cursed the moment I blurted out that she hadn't had a fever yet. I must admit I am more at fault for this hospital stay than any because I had come down with a head cold earlier this week. My sinuses have been reeking havoc on my head and each time I sneezed my head hurt so badly that my knees would buckle. We have to assume that after all we could do to not let her get my cold, she got it. So, around 7:15 we headed out to what will be at least a couple days stay in the hospital. She is in good spirits and we will have to wait until her blood draws and nasal swab results come back to see what she has and how we will combat it.

So far, she is on IV antibiotics, cultures were drawn, and everything else has remained the same.  They did run a nasal panel, likely she has some type of cold virus.

The only thing that looks sick to me is the straw up her nose. 
Hopefully she will be home soon. 



ANC                       0
CMV                      a trace
Nasal panel results   Rhino
Eating                      getting better    

Tyler

3 comments:

  1. Get better quick Alice!! You are such a brave and courageous little girl!! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this one is a quick stay! Get well soon Alice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she (and Tyler too) gets feeling better soon! And can be back home before too long!

    ReplyDelete